Our society was founded in 1953 as The Edmonton Coin Club. In 1977 the club incorporated as a society under the Alberta Societies Act as The Edmonton Numismatic Society. From humble beginnings our society has grown to become Canada’s largest coin and paper money collector group, with the widest range of collecting interests of any numismatic society in Canada.
As a society were are dedicated to promote and educate the public on coins and the science of numismatics. To achieve this, we do the following:
- Organize and host Canada’s largest coin shows two times a year (March and November).
- Provide presentations and talks at our monthly meetings (Second Wednesday of each month except July and August).
- Give talks at educational institutions (contact us for availability).
- Publish The Planchet, our award-winning society publication full of original articles researched and written by the society’s members.
Our member collecting interests and expertise are in the areas of:
- Canadian coins and paper money
- Royal Canadian Mint products
- Colonial, federal and Confederate US coins and paper money
- Ancient Greek
- Ancient Roman
- Medieval and modern European
- Medieval and modern world
- Medals, jetons (testons) and tokens
- Reference and research material – books, catalogs, etc.
- Any other related exonumia
Our member base varies from the beginner collector, to advanced, to expert.
We encourage you to join us at a meeting, become a member and share in the enthusiasm and expertise of our membership for numismatics and all of its many facets.
The Edmonton Numismatic Society is a member of the following organizations:
- American Numismatic Association
- Canadian Association of Token Collectors
- Canadian Paper Money Society
- Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
- View our By-Laws (pdf 85kb)